Rigging, Skinning and Posing

Work In Progress / 24 June 2020






Posing





  


  



Expected problem areas

The glove is an expected problem area for the skinning of the character as it has to have the feeling of multiple layers  of cloth stacked ontop of each other. Overall I just used the Geodesic Voxel method of skinning with some cleanup around the wrist



The Baggy Pants
I expected the baggy pants to be a problem area because of how floofy and wrinkly it is. Overall the skinning of it was very straightforward as it was just like regular legs. 



The Haircaps

I expected the haircaps to be a problem area because I would have to match the skinning to the original body exactly. I used a mix of Importing Skin Weights from the original body and Copy Skin Weights from the original body. For all the spline driven hair I had to repose it to add the feeling of some weight and motion. The Mustache bones aren't skinned to anything they are there for reference to keep the flow of the hair consistent .



The Tunic will be driven via a cloth effect in Unreal Engine 4. 


  Onto modelling a diarama and putting the character into Unreal, overall I am very excited to get this project done. 

Texturing & Hair Grooming

Work In Progress / 18 June 2020

For going into the texturing and grooming for this character I thought of all the kinda gross things we see in humans. Armpit hair, stretch marks, moles. I think these imperfections make it seem that little bit better. 



After a whole bunch of trial and error I have made the Hair of my character in Maya's XGen. I figured its about time I learn it. 


  


  


  


  With the texturing of my character I decided to add SubSurface Scattering to make it seem more lifelike. I think i got the overall values correct. I  forgot the veins on the arm and hand in the sculpting process so I added it in Substance painter. 


  


  

Retopo, Baking and Applying Feedback

Work In Progress / 03 June 2020

To start my retopo process I used Wrap 3.4 for my Body. This gave me 90% of my topology but as my sculpt is Asymmetrical around the eyes I had to redo one of them by hand. To retopo my clothes I started with the automatic Remesh out of Marvelous Designer, this didn't give topology that I was satisfied with so I had to do the retopo by hand.


  


  


  


  


  


  

Baking was the easiest part of this workflow so far as I split up everything into 2 Texture Sets. Texel Density is the exact same across all UV sets.

However I I recieved some feedback about the Abs and back of my character. I redid these in ZBrush, because these changes were so minute to the silhouette I simply rebaked instead of re-retopoing. 


  


  


   Overall I think I will have to redo the pants to get a proper result for the wrappings but I'll have to see how the texturing process goes. 



  

Clothes - Marvelous Designer

Work In Progress / 20 May 2020

Made over the course of 3 days, this is my most complicated project in Marvelous Designer. I've used Marvelous before in a couple Game Jams. 







Full Body Sculpt

Work In Progress / 19 May 2020

A full body sculpt I did after some feedback. This guy is going to be part of a bigger character, with a beard and some Pants. 





Anatomy Studies - Torso Week

Work In Progress / 27 February 2020






Anatomy Study: Hands Week

Work In Progress / 09 November 2019

Three different sculpts I did over this week. 



3rd sculpt Friday:
Time Taken: 3 hours
Basemesh not used




1st sculpt Tuesday:
Time Taken: 4 hours

Basemesh Used





Second Sculpt Wednesday
Time Taken: 1.5 hours
Basemesh not used




Arm Practice

Work In Progress / 10 September 2019

The Arm studies I did today. I focused more on reference than what I thought looked right. In the end I think it turned out better.